Creating a Potage Garden
Siting and Space
You will need a flat, sunny site for four (4) raised beds, a 3m x 4m’ area can be tilled for a traditional garden with straw or bark chip paths.
Steps to Creating the Potage
- Choose area to be planted (this should be close to the kitchen)
- Make certain to have an easily accessible source of water
- Till area remove roots and loose stones as with any other garden spot
- *Measure and layout/build beds
- Add composted soil to beds
- Plant, water, weed, trim and wait for the harvest
What is Needed
- Stones, bricks or timbers to build raised beds and/or line planting
- Good composted material for planting
- Stepping stones for paths
- Trellises, obelisks and arbors (or the materials to make your own)
- Fountain or birdbath
- Bathtub for frogs
- Seeds and plants
- Worm farm for castings
*Keep in mind the size plants will be when mature.
This space will provide organic vegetables, herbs, fruits, and flowers over a 7 month period for a family of four.
It is the best economical method of providing organic food for your family and creating a beautiful, productive garden for you to enjoy!